The Power of Affirmations
Affirmations — present tense, positive, personal and specific statements — are one of many tools that can help writers accomplish their goals. Over the years, I’ve collected an arsenal of tools and techniques for getting out of my critical left brain and moving over to the holistic and creative right side where ideas flow, unobstructed. Affirmations are one of the easiest tools to use. I write mine on brightly colored sticky notes posted around my computer. Before I write, if I feel like I need a jump-start, I repeat them to myself. Over the years, I’ve added to my list.
For the past two Sundays I’ve held Write YOUR Story Workshops in the town where I live. In addition to sharing my memoir writing techniques with other writers — both new and experienced — the best part of the workshop for me is the end, where people share what they’ve written. I am consistently amazed at the quality of the writing — especially from those who say they haven’t written before. I attribute this to the “free yourself to write” content that is presented during the first half of the workshop. Affirmations are one my of my favorite tools. During the workshops, I share some of my own, but I’ve been collecting others from recent workshop participants and thought I’d share them with you.
If you want to benefit from affirmations, pick a few that might enhance your writing experience or write your own. Then, repeat or write them several times throughout the day.The theory is that your brain believes and accepts positive statements as the truth.
These 12 affirmations will get you started.
- I am an excellent writer.
- Words flow from me like water.
- I enjoy writing.
- I can write any place, any time.
- I am paid well for my words.
- I write prolifically.
- My subconscious mind knows exactly what needs to be written.
- People enjoy reading my writing.
- I have something to say and others want to hear it.
- I move people with my words.
- If I can think it, I can write it.
- I connecting unexpected things with writing.
If you want to learn more about how and why affirmations work. Check out the following resources:
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- Rhonda Byrne’s The Secret (also a 2006 film)
- You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay
- Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain (This book is a classic!)
Whatever you do….Speak your truth, and write your story!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.